UHMW Gas Tank Skid
Fits all FJ Cruisers
The Trail Toys gas tank skid is made out of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) Polyethylene.
The material is a full ¼” thick and is very puncture resistant and
slippery. The material is silicon injected which adds to it’s
tendency to slip over obstacles rather than get caught on them.
The skid attaches to your FJ via the factory hardware and 2” endless loop cam buckle
- Remove your factory skid plate. Retain all hardware.
- Drill out the rivet at the front of the stock skid leaving the cable and eyelet in place.
- Using the four factory nuts and the supplied fender washers bolt the TT UHMW skid to the bottom of the gas tank. See the pictures for the correct orientation.
- Secure the nose of the skid plate with the included 1-1/2" long 1/4" bolt and lock nut. Attach the nose to the factory cable as shown in the pictures. This will create a nice rounded edge that will slip over obstacles instead of getting stuck.
- The rear of the skid is held in place with the cam buckle strap. Attach the webbing bracket to the inside of the coil bucket using the supplied 14mm bolt. Thread the strap through the bracket and the skid plate and tighten. It is not necessary to overly tighten the strap, just make sure the trailing edge of the skid wraps around the back of the gas tank. Secure or trim any excess webbing.
The skid weighs in at a meager 8lbs. We already have enough weight on
the drivers side of the truck, no need to add any more to that than we
Don’t forget that you don’t have to paint this skid ever!
Installation time should be less than an hour.
By popular request, the default color of the skids will be black. Here is the complete package.